The University of Pittsburgh supports a culture of sustainability where all members of our community lead by example. In Fall 2019, the campus-wide Pitt Sustainability team is helping first year students get started on their sustainability journey with reusable gift bags containing a number of items to support sustainable campus living.
Inside the 2019 First Year BYO [Bag]s (which reduce plastic bag use by 95%), are:
- A reusable mug, BYO[Mug]!
- Reusable bamboo cutlery set
- Choose to Reuse program information, including how to get a reusable to-go container for free!
- Healthy Ride partnership information related to first year undergraduate student bike share access and utilization.
Did you know?
- Whether you’re a student, staff, of faculty, you can order your meal in a reusable container at participating dining locations across campus — and your first is free! Use your Pitt ID to claim your first container at participating campus food locations by asking for a reusable container when you order, exchanging your used container at any Choose to Reuse machine for a token, then exchange that token for another clean container the next time you order a meal!
- More than 12,000 disposable mugs are used on campus each week — and none are recyclable. You read that right. Hot coffee cups are NOT recyclable. Cold, clear plastic coffee cups are. Learn what CAN be recycled on campus!
- Plastic cutlery cannot be recycled. Learn what CAN be recycled on campus!
- Single-use plastic bags cost 25 cents at stores across campus.Wait, what? Why? Read about it here!
- 3 to 5% of all Pitt commuters bike to work? Looking to hop on your bike to get to Pitt? Find biking resources here!