Join Pitt, CMU, BikePgh, and others in celebrating Bike to Campus Week! This 3rd annual Bike to Campus celebration will include in-person and virtual activities meant to welcome new and experiences riders with tips and tricks for biking in Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh’s universities are working together to increase active transportation and reduce GHG emissions. Both Pitt and CMU and Pitt are growing their campus bike cultures, with Pitt being a Bronze-level Bike Friendly University and CMU achieving Silver last year. Pitt is also in its 3rd year of a partnership with Pittsburgh’s bike share, Healthy Ride, which now provides all Pitt students employees and students free, unlimited 30-minute bike rides.
Bike to Campus virtual and in-person sessions feature expertise from bike commuters, group ride leaders, and League Certified Instructors. If you’re new to biking, this week will provide you with with the knowledge and skills to take to the streets!
September 20, Monday
- How to Buy / Get a Bike (12-12:30 p.m., virtual)
- Learn how to get a bike that fits you and the riding that you plan to do. Find out where to get a bike and the types of bikes that you can buy. Learn more & register.
- Healthy Ride at Pitt Benefit Overview @ noon (virtual)
- Learn how students, faculty, and staff at Pitt can use Healthy Ride, Pittsburgh’s bike share program, for free! The short session will go over how to create your Healthy Ride account, activate your Pitt benefit, and tips on using Healthy Ride bikes. This session is part of Pittsburgh’s Bike to Campus Week. Learn more & register
September 21, Tuesday
- Ready to Roll: Making Sure Your Bike Is Safe & Ready to Ride (1-1:30 pm, virtual)
- Student mechanics from the Pitt Bike Cave share tips on how to get your bike ready to ride, including how to perform an ABC Quick Check, how to adjust brakes, and other essentials to ensure a safe and easy bike ride. This is a program of Bike to Campus Week 2021. Learn more & register.
- How to Accessorize Your Bike to Carry Things, Be Seen, and More (2-2:30 pm, virtual)
- Panniers, fender, racks, oh my! There are so many ways to accessorize your bike to fit your needs – commuting, grocery shopping, even taking the kids to school. Learn more & register
- Dress for Success: What to Wear for Bike Commuting (4-4:30 pm, virtual)
- Learn essential tricks for dressing for a bike commute so you can show up to campus looking your best. Learn more & register
September 22, Wednesday
- Bicycle Friendly Driver Training – Share the road (12-1 pm, virtual)
- Learn how to safely share the road with bicyclists while driving. This training will cover the laws that apply to both bicycles and cars, bike infrastructure, the causes of common crashes and how to avoid them. Hosted by Pitt’s own League Cycling Instructors Bill McShane (Katz), Chris Chirdon (PERU), and Nick Goodfellow (Business & Auxiliary Services). Learn more & register
- Confident City Cycling course (4-7p, Pitt Bike Cave, Posvar Passage)
- Learn how to ride a bike on the streets of Oakland in a small group class taught by certified cycling instructors. Learn more & register.
September 23, Thursday
- Pitt Bike Cave pop-up at the Pitt Farmers Market (12-2pm, William Pitt Union Plaza)
- Quick tune ups as well as helmets and lights for those who need them
September 24, Friday
- Bike to Campus Week Festival @ Schenley Plaza, 1 to 4 pm
- Test-ride electric bikes, learn how to use Healthy Ride, join a group ride, get a quick tune up, or shop for bike accessories from local shops at the Bike to Campus Week Festival in Schenley Plaza.
- Learn more!
- Group Ride w/Pitt Bike Cave / Latin American Graduate Organization of Students (LAGOS) (4:30pm, Pitt Bike Cave, Posvar Passage)