In recognition of the University of Pittsburgh’s outstanding commitment to protecting and enhancing local tree canopy, the Arbor Day Foundation designated the University’s Pittsburgh campus as a Tree Campus for the first time in 2021! We were recertified in 2022 and will do so annually moving forward.
This certification program nationally honors universities and their leaders for promoting healthy trees and engaging students and employees in the spirit of conversation.
We will renew this designation annually moving forward, as led by the Campus Tree Advisory Committee. To obtain this distinction, Pitt met the 5 core standards for sustainable campus forestry required by Tree Campus Higher Education:
- Establish a Campus Tree Advisory Committee
- Develop a Campus Tree Care Plan
- Dedicate annual expenditures for tree care
- Observe Arbor Day (follow Pitt Sustainability social media accounts for our Arbor Day campaigns!)
- Sponsoring service learning projects, which have included:
- Pitt Tree Tender Trainings for students and employees to help support street trees in Oakland and other Pittsburgh neighborhoods (delivered by Tree Pittsburgh in partnership with Pitt’s Sustainability and Community Engagement teams alongside Oakland Planning and Development Corporation (OPDC)).
- TreeVitalize Oakland street tree plantings.
- Pitt Civic Action Week tree plantings.