Clutter For A Cause 2023: Zero Waste
The University of Pittsburgh supports and efficient, zero waste student move-out process with Clutter for a Cause.
Clutter for a Cause will take place from Wednesday, April 26 through Sunday, April 30!
Organized by the cross-departmental Sustainability team, partners include Pitt Surplus, Pitt Pantry, Pitt Police, and the Student Office of Sustainability. Off-campus Clutter for a Cause collections partner with Oakland Planning and Development Corporation (OPDC).
Donated items must be clean and dry.
- Textiles – clothing, accessories, shoes, towels, duvet covers, blankets, curtains, bedding
- Kitchen items – mini-fridges (dry and free of food), microwaves, rice cookers, Keurig or coffee pots and small kitchenware items (plates, cups, utensils, etc).
- Non-perishable Food and Hygiene Items – Please do not donate opened or expired items! In partnership with the Pitt Police’s Most Wanted Food Drive.
- Books and Textbooks
- Dorm Essentials – mirrors, lamps, school organization items like dry erase boards, plastic bins, clothing organizers, laundry baskets
- Electronics – TVs, computers, computer monitors, printers, keyboards, mice, cables, phones, cameras. Personal data must be removed from all electronics before donating them.
Foam mattress toppers, mattresses, upholstered furniture (futons/couches), rugs.
Donations are accepted at any time at unstaffed locations in residence halls, and during open hours at the following staffed locations:
- Schenley Quad (between Amos Hall and McCormick Hall)
- Litchfield Towers Lobby (across from Panther Central)
- Sutherland Hall parking lot (next to the rear entrance to Sutherland Hall)
- Wednesday, April 26 – Noon until 6 p.m.
- Thursday, April 27 – 9 a.m. until 6 p.m.
- Friday, April 28 – 9 a.m. until 6 p.m.
- Saturday, April 29 – 9 a.m. until 6 p.m.
- Sunday, April 30 – 9 a.m. until Noon
Clutter for a Cause Partners
Clutter for a Cause collects items for the following organizations
- University of Thriftsburgh – Student-run thrift store on campus that encourages students to reuse, repair, and recycle! Shopping for second-hand clothing reduces textile waste, cuts carbon, and promotes a culture of re-use.
- Pitt Pantry – Ensures that all members of the Pitt community have access to a healthy lifestyle by providing those in need with food items, hygiene products, and free services.
- Pitt Surplus – Collects, refurbishes, and resells a wide array of items across the University – from furniture to technology to motorized vehicles. The Pitt Surplus team ensures that functional items that are no longer in use by the University are repurposed and resold, reducing the University’s landfill contribution.
Clutter For a Cause History: Led by the cross-departmental sustainability team with many partners, Clutter for a Cause started in 2013 and has helped keep 44,443 pounds of materials out of the landfill from 2018 to 2022. In Spring 2022, Clutter for a Cause collected a record breaking 21,689 pounds of materials (over 10 tons) during student move-out that may have otherwise gone to landfills.