Since 2016, the University of Pittsburgh has encouraged a greener student move-in and move-out process with Clutter for a Cause.
This year students can to drop off items at donation stations or resident hall bins. Please wear a mask and practice social distancing.
Accepted items must be clean and dry:
* Textiles: Clothing, Accessories, Shoes, Towels, Duvet Covers, Blankets, Curtains, Bedding
* Kitchen Items: Mini-Fridges (Dry & Free of Food), Microwaves, Rice Cookers, Coffee Pots or Keurigs, Small Kitchenware Items (Plates, Cups, Utensils, etc.)
* Non-Perishable Food & Hygiene Items: In partnership with the Pitt Police’s Most Wanted Food Drive, we accept all items that are not and expired and that have not yet been opened.
* Books & Textbooks
* Dorm Essentials: Mirrors, Lamps, Organizational Items (Dry Erase Boards, Plastic Bins, Clothing Organizers, and Laundry Baskets)
* Electronics: TVs, Computers, Computer Monitors, Printers, Keyboards, Mice, Cables, Phones, and Cameras
Due to health and safety concerns, we are unable to accept the following items: Foam Mattress Toppers, Mattresses, Upholstered Furniture (Futons/Couches), Rugs.
Drop-off Bins & Station Locations
Collection Bins – Students can donate accepted items any time in the following resident halls:
- Forbes Hall (2nd Floor Lounge)
- Lothrop Hall (Ground Floor Lobby)
- Ruskin Hall (Ground Floor Lounge)
Donation Stations – Items accepted only during operating hours (see below) at the following locations;
- Litchfield Towers Patio (Forbes Avenue side)
- Schenley Quad (between Amos Hall and McCormick Hall)
- Upper Campus (Allequippa Street parking lot next to Panther Hall and across the street from Sutherland Hall)
Off-Campus – Special drop-off station on Monday, April 26 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Sennot St. parking lot (in collaboration with Oakland Planning and Development Corporation (OPDC).
All Donation Stations will be operating during the following times;
- Thursday, April 22 from 12pm – 5pm
- Friday, April 23 from 12pm – 5pm
- Saturday, April 24 from 10am – 5pm
- Sunday, April 25 from 10am – 5pm
- Monday, April 26 from 10am – 5pm
- Tuesday, April 27 from 10am – 5pm
- Wednesday, April 28 from 10am – 5pm
- Thursday, April 29 from 10am – 5pm
- Friday, April 30 from 10am – 2pm
Please do not leave unwanted items in your room!
State laws prohibit the University from collecting and donating items that are left in residence hall rooms after move-out.
All items collected are either resold at the University of Thriftsburgh(on-campus thrift store) or donated to local thrift stores.
In April 2019 alone, Pitt’s on-campus Clutter for a Cause collection gathered 1,200 pounds of household goods and 800 pounds of clothing to be resold at Thriftsburgh AND donated 8,000 pounds of goods to St. Vincent de Paul Society, Goodwill, and the Free Stores in Wilkinsburg and Braddock.