Public Health Renovations (LEED Silver, 2021)
Renovations to the existing School of Public Health building included new, state-of-the-art laboratories, academic areas, and communal spaces. Pitt Public Health ranks highly among schools of public health in National Institutes of Health funding and maintains collaborative relationships with Pitt’s five other health science schools as well as community organizations and the local and state health departments.
The building received its LEED Silver designation in 2021, which covers 284,908 square feet of space.
Green Building Highlights
- Renovated an existing building.
- Replaced windows with more energy efficient ones.
- Energy efficient mechanical, electrical, and plumbing upgrades.
- Water efficient fixtures help reduce building-wide water use.
- Renovation included removing all asbestos from building.
- Low-emitting materials were used that benefit human health and the environment.
- Reused materials with products with recycled content used in construction.
- 20% of materials came from from the Pittsburgh region.
- 75% of all construction waste was diverted from the landfill.