The first Pride Month was celebrated in 1970 to honor the 1969 Stonewall Uprising in Manhattan. Today, it is a month-long celebration with events including picnics, parades, parties, symposia, and more! The purpose of celebrating Pride Month each year is to recognize the local, national, and international impacts and contributions of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals. (www.loc.gov)
Sustainability focuses on three Es: environment, economics, and equity. LGBTQ issues fall at the intersection of this, just as other marginalized groups, the LGBTQ community faces social, economic, and environmental inequities. To create a more sustainable future, we must include everyone and recognize the inequities facing the LGBTQ community.
Resources, Organizations, and LGBTQ Stories to check out!
- OUT for Sustainability provides a platform for co-creating climate resilience and environmental justice by and for LGBTQIA+ communities. Since 2008, Out for Sustainability has worked towards their environmental goals through advocacy, training, fundraising, and relationship-building.
- Our Climate Voices works to amplify first-person narratives of climate change to bring awareness to groups often not heard. This group raises underrepresented groups and promotes the intersection of climate justice and LGBTQ issues.
Venture Out Projects leads backpacking and wilderness trips for the queer and transgender community. Their mission is to provide a safe and fun space for queer, trans, and LGBTQ+ people to experience the outdoors.
Queers X Climate (QXC) is an international organization dedicated to unite and support climate and LGBTQ+ activism to develop and implement solutions for our common global climate crisis.
Queer Nature envisions and implements ecological awareness and place-based skills as vital and often overlooked parts of resiliency-building and echantment-tending for populations who have been marginalized.
Other Resources to Learn More!
- 500 Queer Scientists: Visibility platform for LGBTQ+ and allies working in STEM
- Being Queer in the Jungle: The Unique Challenges of LGBTQ Scientists Working in the Field
- Podcast: Our Climate Voices-An Episode on Climate Justice & Queer and Trans Liberation
- The Sustainable Development Goals and LGBTQ Inclusion
The Pitt community is encouraged to actively engage in the celebration of Pride Month. A list of university-wide and community 2022 Pride Month programs are available below for consideration.
Pride Events at Pitt
Pittsburgh Pride Revolution | June 2 – 5 | Learn more about Pittsburgh Pride Revolution
Chancellor’s Faculty/Staff Picnic Tabling | June 3 12pm – 2pm
People’s Pride Presents Swissvale Pride | June 5 | Learn more about People’s Pride
QBurgh – Pittsburgh Pride 2022 | June 1 – 30 | Learn more about Pittsburgh Pride 2022
LGBTQIA+ Training 101 w/ Hugh Lane | June 16 2pm – 4pm and June 28 10am – 12pm
Pride on the Patio | June 23 11am – 1pm | William Pitt Union Patio
Drag Bingo w/ Alora Chateaux | June 27 6pm – 8pm | WPU Ballroom
In Our Own Write: An LGBTQIA+ Community Open Mic | June 29 7:30pm | Register for your free virtual ticket.
Check out the LGBTQIA+ Resources page from the Teaching Center. Faculty can also use the Inclusivity Consultations page to book consultations with Teaching Center staff to revise syllabi, activities, and assignments for inclusivity.
Check out Pitt Resources related to LGBTQIA+
- Pitt Resources
- Pitt has many resources aimed at supporting the needs of members of the LGBTQIA+ community
- Student Affairs – LGBTQIA
- This is an online resource database for current and prospective students who identify as members or allies of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer community. Sponsored by the Division of Student Affairs at the University of Pittsburgh, this site aims to improve visibility and support for LGBTQIA students and employees by promoting and publicizing available resources and services at the University.
- Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies Progra
- The University of Pittsburgh Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies Program is committed to promoting feminist and LGBTQIA+ activism, pedagogy, and scholarship that engage with the larger local, national, and global communities.
- Pitt Resources and Guidelines Supporting Trans and Non-Binary Community Members
- PRIDE Health (Pitt Health Sciences)
- The mission of PRIDE Health is to serve faculty, staff, students, residents, fellows, and providers in the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex (LGBTQI) community and its allies throughout the University of Pittsburgh Schools of Health Sciences and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) to create a safe, visible, and vibrant environment for education, research, mentoring, support, and advocacy.