Carbon Commitment Committee
As part of our commitment to achieve carbon neutrality on our Pittsburgh campus by 2037, the University of Pittsburgh’s Carbon Commitment Committee began meeting in April 2020. A subcommittee of the Chancellor’s Advisory Council on Sustainability, the Carbon Commitment Committee’s goals are to:
- Hone, design, and manage the University’s plan to achieve its carbon neutrality goal by 2037.
- Develop of a Pitt Climate Action Plan to achieve carbon neutrality.
- Annually evaluate progress towards carbon neutral goal, submit progress evaluations, and sharing progress .
- Develop inclusive and equitable operational, curricular, research, and community engagement strategies related to carbon neutrality.
- Celebrate accomplishments and performance.
- (Re)focus on existing and emerging areas of GHG emissions reduction opportunity.
Curious how we’re doing on achieving this goal? Follow along on our Sustainability Dashboard and look for the forthcoming Pitt Climate Action Plan.
- CHAIR: Dr. Aurora Sharrard, Director of Sustainability, Office of Sustainability
- Jennifer Barnes, Supplier Diversity and Sustainability Coordinator, Purchasing Services
- Scott Bernotas, Vice Chancellor, Office of Facilities Management
- Dr. Melissa Bilec, Co-Director, Mascaro Center for Sustainable Innovation; Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Dustin Gray, Executive Associate Athletic Director for Administration, Athletics
- Max Harleman, PhD Candidate, Graduate School of Public and International Affairs (GSPIA, ‘21 graduation)
- Dr. Michael Holland, Vice Chancellor for Science Policy and Research Strategies, Office the Senior Vice Chancellor for Research
- Dr. Katrina Kelly-Pitou, Assistant Research Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Mary Beth McGrew, Associate Vice Chancellor, Planning, Design, and Real Estate
- Ellen Oordt, Undergraduate Student, Ecology and Evolution, ‘22
- Rebecca Roadman, Chief of Staff, Business and Operations