RecycleMania is an annual, friendly competition and benchmarking tool for colleges and universities to promote waste reduction activities to their campus communities. Over an 8-week period, schools report recycling, composting, and landfill data. Schools are then ranked according to who collects the largest amount of recyclables per capita, the largest amount of total recyclables, the least amount of trash per capita, or have the highest recycling rate. With each week’s reports and rankings, participating schools watch how their results fluctuate against other schools and use this to rally their campus communities to reduce and recycle more.
2020 marks the University of Pittsburgh’s 12th year of participation in this competition.
The 2020 program starts January 19 with a two week pre-season reporting period. The official reporting periods begin on February 2 and will conclude on March 28. Look for posters, banners and additional recycling containers throughout the University in housing facilities as well as the general educational and athletic venues.
FAQs about waste diversion on the University of Pittsburgh campus and in general? Answers here!
Other Sources of Information
- Carnegie Library Recycling Resource Guide
- City of Pittsburgh Recycling Office
- College and University Recycling Council
- National Recycling Coalition
- National Resources Defense Council
- Northeast Recycling Council
- PA Department of Environmental Protection
- Pennsylvania Resources Council
- Pennsylvania’s Recycling Homepage
- Professional Recyclers of Pennsylvania
- Recycler’s World
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- University of Pittsburgh EH&S