RecycleMania is an annual, friendly competition and benchmarking tool for colleges and universities to promote waste reduction activities to their campus communities. Over an 8-week period, schools report recycling, composting, and landfill data. Schools are then ranked according to who collects the largest amount of recyclables per capita, the largest amount of total recyclables, the least amount of trash per capita, or have the highest recycling rate. With each week’s reports and rankings, participating schools watch how their results fluctuate against other schools and use this to rally their campus communities to reduce and recycle more.
2019 marked the University of Pittsburgh’s 11th year of participation in this competition.
The 2019 program starts January 20, 2019 with a two week pre-season reporting period. The official reporting periods begin on February 3, 2019 and will conclude on March 30, 2019. Look for posters, banners and additional recycling containers throughout the University in housing facilities as well as the general educational and athletic venues.
Sources of Information
- Carnegie Library Recycling Resource Guide
- City of Pittsburgh Recycling Office
- College and University Recycling Council
- National Recycling Coalition
- National Resources Defense Council
- Northeast Recycling Council
- PA Department of Environmental Protection
- Pennsylvania Resources Council
- Pennsylvania’s Recycling Homepage
- Professional Recyclers of Pennsylvania
- Recycler’s World
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- University of Pittsburgh EH&S
FAQs about Recycling on the University of Pittsburgh campus and in general.
- What can I recycle at Pitt?
- Where do I put my recyclables?
- What if I have a large quantity of recyclables?
- How do I recycle paper?
- How do I recycle bottles and cans?
- How do I recycle cardboard?
- How do I recycle batteries, electronic devices and lamps?
- How do I recycle electronic waste?
- What happens to my recyclables after I dispose of them?
- Why should I even bother to recycle?
- How does recycling save natural resources?
- How does recycling save energy?
- How does recycling help protect our environment?
- How does recycling save landfill space and disposal costs?
- How is recycling good for the economy?
- What is made from recycled paper?
- What is made from aluminum cans?
- What is made from recycled plastic?
- Interesting Recycling Facts
- Sources of Information
- Where does the University’s recycling material go?