Carbon Commitment Committee
As part of our commitment to achieve carbon neutrality on our Pittsburgh campus by 2037, the University of Pittsburgh’s Carbon Commitment Committee began meeting in April 2020. A subcommittee of the Chancellor’s Advisory Council on Sustainability, the Carbon Commitment Committee’s goals are to:
- Hone, design, and manage the University’s plan to achieve its carbon neutrality goal by 2037.
- Develop a Pitt Climate Action Plan to achieve carbon neutrality and update it every 5 years.
- Annually evaluate progress towards carbon neutral goal, submit progress evaluations, and sharing progress .
- Develop inclusive and equitable operational, curricular, research, and community engagement strategies related to carbon neutrality.
- Celebrate accomplishments and performance.
- (Re)focus on existing and emerging areas of GHG emissions reduction opportunity.
- CHAIR: Dr. Aurora Sharrard, Executive Director of Sustainability, Office of Sustainability
- Joshua Ash, PhD Candidate, Graduate School of Public and International Affairs
- Jennifer Barnes, Supplier Diversity and Sustainability Coordinator, Purchasing Services
- Scott Bernotas, Vice Chancellor, Office of Facilities Management
- Dr. Melissa Bilec, Co-Director, Mascaro Center for Sustainable Innovation; Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Federica Geremicca, PhD Candidate, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Dustin Gray, Executive Associate Athletic Director for Administration, Athletics
- Dr. Michael Holland, Vice Chancellor for Science Policy and Research Strategies, Office the Senior Vice Chancellor for Research
- Rebecca Roadman, Chief of Staff, Business and Operations
- Annie Ryan, Undergraduate Student, Environmental Science, ‘22
- VACANT, Vice Chancellor, Planning, Design, & Construction
Past Committee Members
- Dr. Max Harleman, Alum, Graduate School of Public and International Affairs (GSPIA ‘21)
- Dr. Katrina Kelly-Pitou, Former Assistant Research Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Mary Beth McGrew, Former Vice Chancellor, Planning, Design, and Real Estate
- Ellen Oordt, Undergraduate Student, Ecology and Evolution, ‘22