Pitt Green Offices
Help advance the University of Pittsburgh’s culture of sustainability in your office, department, or division by becoming a Pitt Green Office! There are four Pitt Green Office designation levels you can pursue that help us achieve various aspects of the Pitt Sustainability Plan:
Sustainable Oak: ≥ 90% of possible points
Sapling: ≥ 70% of possible points
Sprout: ≥ 50% of possible points
Seed: ≥ 1% of possible points
The goal is to achieve the highest point level possible while providing an opportunity for every office on campus to become more sustainable with their activities, purchases, decisions, and events!
How does my office participate?
Participating offices earn points by auditing their current practices & reporting what sustainable actions and activities they are currently taking to green their spaces & places. Each sustainable practice is assigned a point value based on its impact, ease, and cost of implementation.
To become a Pitt Green Office, your office must complete a Self-Assessment Survey that will evaluate your office across 7 different areas:
- Culture of Sustainability
After completing the self-assessment, your office can earn one of the four University of Pittsburgh Green Office designations to commemorate your determination to helping make our campus a greener and more sustainable place to learn, work, & live!
What do we get if we participate?
Participating offices will receive:
- A door/window decal recognizing you as a University of Pittsburgh Green Office for the designated year.
- A plaque/certificate recognizing you as a Green Office for the designated year.
- Recognition on the Pitt Sustainability Website
- Recognition at an annual Pitt Green recognition event
What comprises an “Office”?
For the purposes of the Pitt Green Office program, your office can be your entire office/department/division OR a number of people in your unit who share a common space or resources.
Examples: 1) Shared kitchen or a copy room; 2) Co-workers who purchase items together, plan events together, etc. If you have a large department, but your shared work area only consists of five people, you can define your area as a Pitt Green Office with OR without the rest of your department as long as your “office” consists of a minimum of 3 people.
If you have questions about which type of office you work in, please email the Office of Sustainability for assistance.
1) Get your “office” together! Determine how many members of your office plan to participate in the Pitt Green Office Program.
3) As an office, review and complete the Pitt Green Office Self-Assessment.
4) Be sure to enter the name of your University department in the survey, along with the names and emails of your office mates helping you with your self-assessment.
5) Honestly answer all the questions about actions your office is currently undertaking — then, hit submit!
6) The Office of Sustainability team will verify your Self-Assessment, reach out with any follow-up questions, and let you know what level of Pitt Green Office you’ve attained (and what steps you might consider taking next).
7) To retain and improve your Pitt Green Office status, please plan on re-submitting Self-Assessments once every two years. Surveys will be reviewed as received, but will be accepted through December 15th of each calendar year.
8) Questions? Email the Office of Sustainability
What University of Pittsburgh offices, departments, and divisions are already Pitt Green Offices?