Starting in mid-January 2020, the University of Pittsburgh now has a number of locations to collect textiles meeting acceptability guidelines listed below. Clothing and textiles make up ~6.3% of the U.S. waste stream, so represent a campus- and city-wide opportunity to keep textiles in the circular economy, while assisting in reaching our goal is to reduce landfill waste 25% from 2017 levels by 2030.
Please continue to donate all wearable clothing and accessories to the University of Thriftsburgh (on-campus thrift store in O’Hara Student Center) or to your local reuse stores!
- Clothing, coats, and jackets
- Linens, towels, bedding, pillows, drapes, and curtains
- Hats, gloves, belts, shoes, jewelry, and other accessories.
- Mattress toppers
- Hazardous waste
- Single stream recyclables
Collection units have been placed around campus near existing toner and/or battery diversion locations, as listed below.
- Alumni Hall – Main Lobby, Lytton St. Entrance
- Benedum Hall – Lobby
- Biomedical Science Tower – Lobby
- Cathedral of Learning – Ground Floor (Near Elevators)
- Chevron Hall
- Craig Hall – Main Lobby
- Eureka Building – Main Lobby
- Graduate School of Public Health – DeSoto Lobby
- Hillman Library – Ground Floor Lobby
- Litchfield Towers – Lobby near ATM
- Mervis Hall – Ground Floor
- O’Hara Student Center
- Park Plaza – Main Lobby
- Petersen Events Center – Mezzanine, 2nd Floor
- Public Safety Building – Forbes Avenue Lobby
- Salk Hall
- Scaife Hall – 4th Floor, Terrace St. Entrance
- Thomas Blvd.—Main Lobby
- Posvar Hall – Main Lobby (Near Elevators)
- William Pitt Union – Main Lobby
Want to learn more about all the materials streams the University of Pittsburgh is diverting from landfill? More information here!